General Information

  Download Catalog as PDF

Overview of Midway University

Midway University is an independent, comprehensive institution offering two-year, four-year, and graduate degrees. The University calendar includes fall, spring, and summer terms, day and evening programs, delivered in modular and online learning.

The University consists of the Midway campus and online courses for the traditional and non-traditional student. The University offers associate, bachelor, and master degrees in the following disciplines:

Programs Offered In-Seat Only

  • Associate Degree in Nursing - 64 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Biology - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Education Secondary Biology Education 8-12 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Equine Studies with a Concentration in Equine Management - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Equine Studies with a Concentration in Equine Rehabilitation - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Equine Studies with a Concentration in Science - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a conentration in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling - 120 credit hours
  • Minor in Biology - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Chemistry  - 19 credit hours
  • Minor in Equine Studies  - 18 credit hours

Programs offered In-Seat and Online

  • Associate Degree in Business Administration   
  • Bachelor of Science in Accounting - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Leadership - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education P-5 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Middle School English Education 5-9 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Middle School Math Education 5-9 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Middle School Science Education 5-9 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Middle School Social Studies Education 5-9 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Secondary English Education 8-12 - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Mathematics Education 8-12 - 120 credit hours
    • Learning and Behavior Disorders add-on - 141 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Education Studies English - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Education Studies Mathematics - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Education Studies Sciences - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Education Studies Social Studies - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in English - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Marketing Communications - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Marketing Communications with a concentration in Graphic Design - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Marketing Communications with a concentration in Writing - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Arts in Psychology - 120 credit hours
  • Bachelor of Science in Sport Management - 120 credit hours
  • Minor in Bourbon Studies - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Business Administration - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Criminal Justice - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in English - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Entrepreneurship - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Finance - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Human Resources - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Interdisciplinary Studies - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Leadership - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Mathematics - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Psychology - 18 credit hours
  • Minor in Sport Management - 18 credit hours

Programs offered Online Only

  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing RN to BSN completion program (Online except for Practicum) 
  • Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 120 credit hours
  • Master of Business Administration  - 30 credit hours
  • Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Equine Management  - 33 credit hours
  • Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Health Care Administration  - 33 credit hours
  • Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Sport Management  - 33 credit hours
  • Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Tourism and Event Management  - 33 credit hours
  • Master of Education Teacher Leader  - 30 credit hours
  • Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration (Online except for Practicum)  - 36 credit hours
  • Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education (Online except for Practicum)  - 36 credit hours

Pre-Professional Programs

  • Pre-Dentistry
  • Pre-Medical
  • Pre-Optometry
  • Pre-Podiatric Medicine
  • Pre-Physical Therapy
  • Pre-Physician Assistant
  • Pre-Engineering
  • Pre-Law
  • Pre-Occupational Therapy
  • Pre-Pharmacy
  • Pre-Veterinary Medicine

Non-Credit Program

  • English Language Learners

About Midway University

Our student body is comprised of students from across the United States and several countries. The student population includes traditional-age and adult students.

Midway University is in the heart of Central Kentucky’s Bluegrass Region.  Sitting atop rolling hills, the University is about one-quarter mile away from the small town of Midway. The 200-acre campus is a short drive from Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati. Major airports and interstates make traveling convenient.

Mission of Midway University

Midway University engages and challenges students to achieve individual growth, responsible citizenship, and meaningful careers through personalized educational experiences. (Adopted November 8, 2018)

Vision Statement

Midway University is a vibrant and diverse institution committed to academic excellence and individual growth.

Values

Midway University fosters core values shared by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and reflected in the beliefs of our founder, Dr. L.L. Pinkerton. These values include:

  • Valuing the dignity of all people
  • Acting with integrity and responsibility
  • Viewing self as part of the community
  • Living life within a global context
  • Providing service to others
  • Pursuing life-long learning

Accreditation

Midway University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, and master degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Midway University.

Program accreditations are as follows:

Nursing Programs 

Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN)

3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850

Atlanta, GA  30326

(404) 975-5000, FAX (404) 975-5020

www.acenursing.org

ADN Approved by: 
Kentucky Board of Nursing (KBN)
312 Whittington Parkway, Suite 300
Louisville, KY  40222
 (502) 429-3300 or (800) 305-2042, FAX (502) 429-3311
https://kbn.ky.gov

Education Programs approved by:                               

Kentucky Educational and Professional Standards Board (EPSB)
100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor
Frankfort, KY  40601 (502) 564-4606 or (888) 598-7667, FAX (502) 564-7080
www.kyepsb.net

Historical Development

Midway University was founded in order to meet the changing needs of women in Kentucky in 1847. Dr. Lewis Letig Pinkerton, a physician and pastor of Midway Christian Church, spearheaded the Kentucky Female Orphan School. Dr. Pinkerton’s action was a response to the educational needs of a large number of girls orphaned by the frequent epidemics and rugged living conditions that characterized Kentucky life in the 1840’s. Aided by James Ware Parrish, William F. Patterson, several church elders, and virtually the entire congregation of his church, Dr. Pinkerton secured a charter for an elementary school. Midway University is proud of its long association with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and is an active participant in the Division of Higher Education of the Christian Church.

When the school opened, it was the first institution of its kind established in the United States to serve orphaned and disadvantaged women. The school was originally established as an elementary school. Later, Pinkerton High School was added, and, in 1942, the institution inaugurated a Junior College. The institution soon developed a reputation for both its academic offerings and its commitment to provide a quality education to all qualified women regardless of their financial condition. Eventually the elementary school was phased out, as was the high school in 1973 when the combination of the consolidated county high schools, federal assistance to disadvantaged students, and busing resulted in diminished need for the elementary and secondary school programs. In 1978, the Board of Trustees authorized the official name of the school to be changed to Midway Junior College to Midway College. Shortly after its establishment, the College received full accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

As the College grew, so did the offerings in its curriculum. During the early years, the primary objectives were to prepare students to be teachers and homemakers. By 1949 the academic offerings included liberal arts, teacher training, business, and home economics, and in 1965 the nursing curriculum was added. In the 1970s, in response to the needs of students and the community, programs in paralegal studies, equine studies, and early childhood education were added. The 1988-

89 academic year brought approval of four-year programs, allowing the institution to offer baccalaureate as well as associate degree programs to all students.

The evening program for working adults was established in 1995, offering accelerated programs for non-traditional-age students. Online programs were established in 2005 to meet the needs of learners who required more flexible educational access.

Graduate programs began in 2008 with the Midway University Master of Business Administration. In 2013, the Master of Education was added, and the Master of Science in Nursing was launched in 2016.

In 2015, Midway College transitioned to University status and officially became Midway University on July 1, 2015 to reflect expanding graduate programs and international partnerships.

In 2016, the University transitioned to fully coeducational in its traditional daytime undergraduate programs and opened its residence halls to men.

Campus and Community

Midway University is located on one of the many hills overlooking the town of Midway. The original plot was acquired for school purposes by the Rev. Lewis L. Pinkerton in the year 1845. Additional land was purchased by the Rev. Alexander Campbell, an early leader of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Brotherhood, and, later on, by the Board of Trustees. Today, the campus comprises 200 acres. The small town of Midway, Kentucky is a picturesque community with approximately 1,600 residents. Built by officials of the Lexington and Ohio Railroad in 1838, its houses are stately examples of the finest in Greek revival. Midway has a variety of boutiques, restaurants, and antique shops that accommodate the many tourists who visit each year.

Quaint though it may be, Midway is still only 15 minutes away from the major metropolitan center of Lexington as well as the state capital, Frankfort, and only an hour away from Louisville, Kentucky and Cincinnati, Ohio.

Campus Buildings

Anne Hart Raymond Center for Mathematics, Science & Technology (AHR)

Through the generosity of Midway University trustee Ollie Raymond and his wife Anne, Midway University received a $2 million gift in 1999. The Raymond’s lead gift provided funding for the construction of the Anne Hart Raymond Mathematics, Science and Technology Center on the Midway University campus. The building opened in 2003 and provides state-of-the-art laboratory and classroom facilities for students.  The offices of the dean and faculty members of the School of Health Sciences and of the Department of Mathematics and Sciences are located in AHR.

Buster Hall

Buster Hall is a residence hall built in 1925 with gifts from alumnae supplemented with funds from James M. Starks. The building, originally named Alumnae Hall, was renovated in 1990 and renamed Buster Hall in honor of Patricia Buster and the Buster family’s long history of service to Midway University.

Belle Wisdom Hall

Belle Wisdom Hall, also a residence hall, was completed in 1960 with funds from the estate of Mrs. Belle Wisdom, a Texas philanthropist. This brick structure was built in the Colonial style.

Equine Education Centers

Midway’s equine education centers allow students to pursue equestrian studies regardless of the weather. Three centers are used for equestrian classes and by Midway’s equestrian teams.

  • The 18,000-square-foot Keeneland Equine Education Center contains 16 stalls, tack room, washroom, office space and houses the rehabilitation equipment.
  • The 36,000-square foot Equine Education Center houses a 105 x 235-foot indoor riding arena, eight stalls, laboratory, classroom, a large tack room, audio-visual room, wash stall, and faculty offices. Equine students also enjoy an outdoor riding arena, a jumping field, and 163 acres of pastureland.
  • The Ashland stables and Theurkauf outdoor riding arena complement the two large equine centers, thus creating a comprehensive facility that meets the demands of all riding disciplines and equine training needs. The Ashland stables include 8 stalls, tack room, washroom, office, and classroom. The Theurkauf outdoor riding arena measures 227 x 117 feet and has a stonedust footing.

Hunter Field House

The 20,000 square foot Hunter Field House (opened June 2020) includes an auxiliary gymnasium, a weight and cardio room, an elevated walking track, two locker rooms, an athlete study room, coaches’ offices and meeting space. The Hunter Field House is used mostly for athletic practices and some special events. The Hunter Field House was made possible by the generous donation of Midway University Trustee Janet Green Hunter and her husband, Richard.

Starks Center (ST)

Constructed in 2010, the Starks Center doubled the academic capacity of Midway University and provides an enhanced learning environment. The building houses four conference rooms, five academic suites, 48 faculty offices, and a student lounge for a total of 30,242 square feet. The offices of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Director of Accreditation & Academic Initiatives, the Office of the Registrar, the Director of Institutional Research and Assessment, and the Deans and faculty of the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Business, Equine, and Sport Management are in the Starks Center. Many administrative offices are housed in Starks Center while the Marrs Hall renovation is taking place including Admissions, Business Office, Financial Aid, Accounting, Human Resources and Marketing.

Little Memorial Library (LML)

The Little Memorial Library was built in 1997 and named in memory of W. Paul Little and Lucille C. Little. The library houses the Robert T. McCowan/Ashland Inc. Computing Center, Student Success Center, Office of International Programs, and classrooms. The lower level of the library houses the Communication Center, Information Technology, Security, and the academic computer classroom and lab.

Marrs Hall

Marrs Hall, easily identifiable by its clock tower, was completed in 1941. The building houses the Office of the President, the Arthur Young Lloyd Board Room, and the Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations. The building is currently under renovation and when completed will be the home of the Welcome Center which includes the Admissions, Business and Financial Aid Offices on the second floor. The Offices of Accounting, Human Resources and Marketing will be on the lower level when completed.

McManis Student Center and Marshall Gymnasium

The McManis Student Center containing the Marshall Gymnasium was dedicated in November 1979. The Student Center was built with a bequest of the Fred and Carolyn McManis estate and holds the Piper Dining Hall, Patricia J. Buster reception room, the Nest, and the Fireside room. The gymnasium was funded by the estate of Everett and Carrie Hall Marshall and consists of a 10,000-square foot facility for basketball, volleyball, and other indoor sports, with seating capacity for 1,500 and a stage. The offices of the Vice President of Admissions & Student Affairs, the Director of Residence Life and Community Service, and the Director of Student Involvement are located in the Student Center along with the offices of several members of the coaching staff.

The Lewis A. Piper dining hall was completed in the spring of 1988 and includes a complete modern kitchen and a large dining room. The dining hall is dedicated to the memory of Lewis A. Piper, who served as President of Midway University from 1945 to 1965. The dining hall and serving area were updated in 2014.

The Nest Café, located in the McManis Student Center, was opened in 2017 to offer snacks and meals throughout the day and into the evening. Students can utilize some of their meal plan dollars at the Nest for an alternative dining option.

Patterson Building

Located at the edge of the campus, this brick structure was built in 1916 to house the campus heating plant. The Patterson building contains the offices of the Director of Physical Plant and staff. Campus maintenance, janitorial services, and the grounds crew work out of the Patterson building. The top floor is the practice facility for Midway’s Wrestling team.

Peterson House

The Lucy J. Peterson House was dedicated in September 1987 to the memory of the former alumna, dean, and superintendent of the Kentucky Female Orphan School. This structure is located across Stephens Street from the entrance to the main campus. Currently, the house is utilized as additional campus housing for students.

Pinkerton Hall

The oldest building on campus, Pinkerton Hall was originally erected in 1847 and was home to the entire school. The two-story Greek revival building was rebuilt in 1852 following a fire that destroyed the original structure in 1848. It originally faced the railroad tracks at the north end of the campus. The National Parks Service listed it on the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1974. The building was renovated in Summer 2019 to return it to housing and predominantly houses upper-division students.