Academic Information

  Download Catalog as PDF

Midway University has established certain conditions governing enrollment, the number and level of courses required for a degree, and other regulations governing the various majors and programs of the University. By becoming familiar with and adhering to these policies, students can enhance their opportunities of successfully completing a degree and can add considerably to their enjoyment of the University years. Students are responsible for reading and understanding information about their programs of study. The University has the following support services to assist students.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is a collaborative relationship in which students seek and receive guidance about academic program planning and life goals. Educational planning is well-suited with students’ life goals; therefore, academic advising includes conversation about life goals and supports the process of developing such goals. The ultimate responsibility for reaching decisions about academic program plans and goals rests with each undergraduate student. For academic advisors, assisting students to develop life goals means (1) aiding students to discover and delineate educational and career goals in an atmosphere of mutual respect and learning, (2) encouraging students to think critically about their choices, (3) helping learners explore and find resources, and (4) following through with action plans. In this way, students connect with the advisor and develop personal accountability for making decisions.

The Director of Advising and Retention is located in the Office of Student Success within the Little Memorial Library on the first floor, room 110  and is available to assist, should you be unable to reach your academic advisor.   

For assistance, call at 859-846-5321 or by email at

Academic Honesty

Midway University seeks to promote the highest standards of academic and personal integrity in all members of the campus community. All persons associated with the University’s academic community have a responsibility to establish, foster, and maintain academic standards and values.  In such an environment, academic dishonesty in any form cannot be tolerated.  All members of the University community should report suspected acts of academic dishonesty according to the procedure stipulated below.

Academic dishonesty is regarded as an act of fraud in which a student claims credit for the work or efforts of others without authorization or uses unauthorized materials or fabricated information in any academic exercise. Academic dishonesty also includes forging academic documents, presenting one’s own work for one class in a subsequent course, impeding or damaging the academic work of others, or assisting another in acts of academic dishonesty.  Some forms of academic dishonesty can be categorized and defined as follows:

Cheating: Using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information, or study aids in any academic activity. Cheating includes, but is not limited to, wrongfully giving, taking, or receiving aid on any academic exercise.

Fabrication: Falsification or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise. Fabrication includes, but is not limited to, falsely citing a source that does not exist, knowingly citing a source incorrectly (e.g., improperly citing an article’s page numbers, volume number, etc.), and/or the falsification or improper manipulation of data of any kind. This also includes the presentation of one’s own work done for another class as if it were work done for a current class.

Plagiarism:  Any representation of the words or ideas of another as one’s own. A student who submits any exercise that uses someone else’s ideas, words, expressions, or pattern of organization without properly citing/acknowledging the author is guilty of plagiarism.  Plagiarism also includes reproducing another’s work and submitting it as one’s own, whether it is an article, pages of a book, a paper from a friend, a file, or any other source including websites. Students who have someone alter or revise work and then submit it as their own are also guilty of plagiarism.

Although students may discuss assignments with each other and with their professors, any work submitted to the professors should be done solely by the students who claim it as their own.

Procedure in Cases of Academic Dishonesty

Midway University will initiate the “Three Strike” Policy in cases of Academic Dishonesty. The first offense will be left to faculty discretion as to whether or not the allegation will be reported on the Academic Dishonesty Report Form and placed in the student’s permanent record file.  The faculty may allow the student to redo the assignment without report, fail the assignment with or without report, or fail the course with report filed in the student’s record and listed on  the Central Tracking Form kept in the Academic Affairs office.  If upon reporting the incident the Central Tracking Form indicates the incident is the student’s second offense, the student will automatically fail the course.  If the incident is the student’s third offense, the student will be expelled from the University.  The student may appeal such accusations as per the Academic Process in II below.  The Central Tracking Form will be available for faculty perusal at any time.

I. Academic Dishonesty Charge

A. If a faculty member suspects academic dishonesty in an institutional situation for which the faculty member is directly responsible, the faculty member will discuss the matter first with the student concerned.   It shall be the faculty member’s discretion to handle the matter informally or to take it to the next step wherein student records will be involved.  If the faculty member then determines there are reasonable grounds to believe academic dishonesty may have occurred, the faculty member will so inform the student and complete a Report of Academic Dishonesty form (below) detailing the allegation.  If the student does not wish to contest the allegation, the student will sign the form, acknowledging the truth of the allegation.  The faculty member will determine a just penalty, and the form will be placed in the student’s file.

B. If someone other than the faculty member directly responsible for the instructional situation suspects academic dishonesty has occurred, he/she should report the incident to the responsible faculty member, or if said faculty member cannot be determined, to the chair of the department in which the incident may have occurred.  The process outlined in   IA will then be followed.  

II. Responses to Academic Dishonesty Charges

A.  If the accused student wishes to contest the allegations made in the Faculty’s Report of Academic Dishonesty, the student may indicate said intentions but must sign the form acknowledging the situation.  The form will be forwarded to the appropriate dean who will meet with the faculty member to determine if sufficient evidence exists substantiating the allegations.  If the dean concludes insufficient evidence exists, he/she will return the Report to the faculty and student, and the process shall end there.  

B. If the dean determines that sufficient evidence exists to substantiate the allegations, then the dean will meet with the accused student. The purpose of this meeting shall be to review the policy on academic dishonesty with the student; to discuss the range of penalties that could be imposed if the allegations are upheld; and to make certain that the student understands the two options available at this point in the process. The student may admit the truth of the allegations, or the student may request a formal hearing. The student will have seven (7) calendar days from the time of the meeting to inform the dean, in writing, which option the student wishes to exercise.

C. If the student admits to academic dishonesty, the dean, in consultation with the faculty member bringing the allegations, will impose a penalty. The dean will be the final arbiter in all such cases and impose any penalties. The dean will inform the student and the faculty member of the final disposition of the matter by returning completed copies of the Report of Academic Dishonesty to them. The original copy of the form shall be placed in the student’s file according to the guidelines stipulated in IV.

D. If the student fails to request a formal hearing within the stipulated time period, the charges will be deemed admitted and the dean will impose a penalty in consultation with the faculty member. The dean will be the final arbiter in all such cases and impose any penalties. The dean will inform the student and the faculty member of the final disposition of the matter by returning completed copies of the Report of Academic Dishonesty to them. The original copy of the form shall be placed in the student’s file according to the guidelines stipulated in IV.

III. Hearing Process

A. If the student requests a formal hearing, the dean shall convene an ad hoc committee made up of three members of the full-time faculty, taking care that no member selected is in any way a party to the case. The committee may hear witnesses requested by any of the parties and/or review records and evidence relevant to the matter. The committee is in charge of the hearing and the committee will direct all discussion. The student is entitled to select a member of the Midway University academic community (i.e., a member of the administrative staff, the faculty, or the student body) to advise and/or assist at the hearing but not to advocate or present the case. At any time during the hearing process, the student may prepare written questions to be directed by the committee to any other person involved in the procedure. In all cases, the burden of proof lies with the administration to substantiate the charges based upon a preponderance of the evidence. After thoroughly investigating the allegation of academic dishonesty, the committee will decide either to affirm or deny. This decision of the committee is final and may not be appealed.

B. If the committee denies the charges, it will report its findings in writing to the student, the faculty member, and the appropriate dean and the matter will end.

C.  If the committee makes a finding of academic dishonesty, it will determine the penalty, as per the “Three-Strike Policy” above . The committee is empowered to impose the full range of penalties to include suspension or expulsion from the University.  All penalties imposed by the committee are final and may not be appealed.  The committee will report its findings to the student, the faculty member, the dean, and the registrar.  The original form and the committee’s findings shall be placed in the student’s file in the Registrar’s office.

IV. Honors designation

Any student with a record of academic dishonesty will forfeit the right to graduate with honors from Midway University.

Academic Honors

Dean’s List

At the conclusion of the fall and spring semesters of each academic year, the Dean’s List for superior academic achievement is issued to undergraduate students. Students eligible for the Dean’s List must be classified as full-time and must have achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.60 for the semester. Additionally, the student must have earned no grade below a C for the term, must have met those criteria exclusive of developmental courses completed, and must have no disciplinary proceedings or Incompletes outstanding.

Graduation Honors

Students with distinguished academic records who have met the requirements for graduation in one of the programs of study leading to either the associate or the bachelor’s degree may be eligible for certain academic honors at the time of graduation. These honors are based upon students’ total cumulative grade point average earned at Midway University and total Midway University hours as follows:

Graduation Honors


(Must have earned a minimum of 34 hours with Midway University to be eligible)


(Must have earned a minimum of 48 hours with Midway University to be eligible)

With Honors

With High Honors

3.60-3.85 cum GPA

3.86-4.00 cum GPA

Summa Cum Laude

Magna Cum Laude

Cum Laude

3.90-4.00 cum GPA

3.76-3.89 cum GPA

3.60-3.75 cum GPA

To be considered for academic honors, the student must have completed all degree requirements and have no course for which an official final grade has not been submitted nor any Incomplete.  Students with missing grades or Incompletes are not eligible for either Commencement or Commencement honors.

Midway University reserves the right to publish names of students receiving academic honors, including graduation honors and the Dean’s List. These recognitions are permanently noted on academic transcripts.  Any student wishing to opt of the publication of names, must submit a request in writing to the Office of the Registrar.

Academic Regulations

Class Attendance

Each student at Midway University is responsible for attending classes. Students are advised that the faculty member in each course has the chief responsibility for deciding the attendance policy for the course. This policy shall appear on the course syllabus.

Course Delivery

Midway University reserves the right to change program course delivery from in-seat to online or online to in-seat.

Course Information

Academic Majors, Minors, and Concentrations

A major is an organized course of study consisting of at least 30 credit hours within a recognized field, and, when combined with general education courses and elective courses as specified, leads to a degree. Several majors at the baccalaureate level have also designed academic minors or concentrations. A minor represents an optional, secondary field of study for a degree-seeking student.  No student may declare a major and a minor in the same field of study as a Major.   A concentration, on the other hand, goes hand in hand with a Major, as it has to be in the same field of study as a Major.  Requirements for a minor or a concentration vary among disciplines.  All require the completion of at least 18 semester hours and all require a minimum number of courses be completed at upper levels (300 and above). The minors and concentrations that are available to students are described with the program listings and major programs in this catalog.   Academic minors are available to students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree with the exception of the concentration in Alcohol and Drug Counseling, which can be pursued as a stand-alone concentration by students who have already earned a baccalaureate degree.  A concentration, however, may also be chosen in a graduate degree.  Students pursuing an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree may also declare a minor in a field of study that is not the same as their major. 

Changes in Registration

A student who finds it necessary or desirable to make changes in their course schedule following registration may do so via Self-Service before the end of the drop/add period as published in the academic calendar.  The appropriate dean must approve any addition of courses that will increase the student’s semester load to more than 19 semester hours.   Any residential student must remain enrolled as a full-time student to be eligible for student housing. The most recent edition of the academic calendar can be found in the official catalog on the University website.   

Registration Information Procedures

The Registrar will publish registration dates for each semester or other terms. Students who have been admitted to the University are eligible to register for courses offered at the University subject to any conditions of admission, class size limitations, and prerequisites established for particular courses.   

Registration must be completed by the last day to register or add a class for credit as published in the catalog and class schedules. Students will not receive credit for any courses in which they are not formally registered.   

Students who do not formally drop a course by the last day to drop a class with a grade will have their names carried on that class roll and will receive the grade earned for the course.  Students who drop a course before the mid-point of the course will receive a W grade.  W grades are not used for GPA calculations.  Administrative withdrawals (W grades after the mid-point date) may be granted for extenuating circumstances such as long-term personal illness or family circumstances.  These require administrative approval with valid documentation. For guidelines on this process, please refer to policy listed on page 88 and 89 of this catalog ( check to make sure pages are correct) .  

It is students’ individual responsibility to make certain that they are properly registered for classes and that they officially drop a class.   

Registration for Internships

Students who wish to register for an internship are advised to discuss this with the Director of Career Services and their Academic Advisor. Career Services distributes and collects applications for internship by midterm of the semester preceding the semester in which the student wishes to engage in an internship. All applications are submitted to the Deans of each school for approval. It is the student’s responsibility to find and secure an internship with the assistance of the Career Services Office and Academic Advisor.  

 Internships for academic credit occur within the Fall, Spring and Summer grading terms. If extenuating circumstances prohibit the student from completing the required number of hours within the grading term, the student and instructor can request a grade of incomplete (I) from the Dean of the respective school, which they can approve or deny. If approved, the student most follow the steps in the Incomplete Grade policy.   

All internships, practicums, and student teaching assignments are graded on a P/F basis.  These grades will not be used in GPA computations.  

Course Load

An undergraduate student is considered to be full-time when registered for 12 or more credit hours per semester. The maximum allowable load is 19 credit hours during a particular semester and seven credits during the summer session. A student may be permitted by the appropriate dean, upon recommendation of the student’s academic advisor, to carry additional credit hours at which point an overload fee will be added to the student’s account. THE Course Overload form for approval may be obtained from the Registrar's Office or online. 

A student on academic probation is limited to an academic load not to exceed 13 semester hours during a regular semester or two consecutive modules.

Undergraduate Student Classification

Students are classified by the University Registrar as:

  • Sophomore, 30 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0
  • Junior, 60 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0
  • Senior, 90 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0

Credit granted by examination or brought in as transfer is included in determining a student’s classification but not in the calculation of GPA.

Independent Study Courses

Independent study courses may be offered in any subject area represented in the catalog.  Independent study courses may be taken for one, two, or three semester hours of academic credit.

Learning contract forms for independent study courses are available in the Office of the Registrar. The usual deadline dates for registration must be observed.

Students should keep in mind the following guidelines:

  1. Independent study courses are given at the Dean’s option. There is no requirement that such courses be given.
  2. No course that is already offered regularly in the curriculum may be taken as an independent study course.

Special Topics Courses

Periodically, various programs will offer special topics courses. These courses are designed to allow for study of well-defined areas within the discipline that are not treated in regular course work.  Since prerequisites vary among courses, students should refer to each term’s schedule of academic offerings before registering for a special topics course.

Permission to Enroll at Another Institution  

Midway University students must receive permission to enroll and transfer courses from other institutions while in attendance at Midway. Students are not permitted to take a course at another institution if the course is being offered at Midway during the semester in which they request to take the course. The student must receive permission, or an exception,  from their Advisor, School Dean, and the Registrar prior to enrolling in a course at another institution. The form (Permission to Enroll at Another Institution)   can be found in the Registrar’s OfficeStudents should contact the Financial Aid Office to understand the financial implications of taking a course at another institution.  

Academic Standing

Good Standing, Probation, Suspension, and Expulsion

A student who maintains a cumulative grade point average (GPA) at or above 2.00 is said to be in good standing with the University. Conversely, a student who fails to maintain the specified cumulative GPA will be placed on probation. At the end of each semester the Academic Review Council (ARC) meets to review students who do not meet the criteria to be in good standing. Students who fail to remove the probationary status from their record in the next semester are subject to suspension.  Notations concerning probation and suspension will appear permanently on the academic transcript associated with the term in which that status was assigned.

In order to be in good standing, all students, full- or part-time, are expected to earn and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA.  Any student who is on academic probation cannot participate in intercollegiate athletic competitions or hold leadership positions on campus.

If it becomes necessary to place a student on academic probation, the student will be notified in writing of this decision by the Office of Academic Affairs. Copies of this notification will be sent to the student’s academic advisor, the Office of Student Affairs, the Office of Financial Aid, and the Office of the Registrar.

Additionally, the student who is placed on academic probation shall be limited to an academic load of no more than 13 semester hours in the next semester (or two modules) of enrollment and complete an academic success plan coordinated through the Office of Student Success. If, by the end of the semester (or two modules), the student is not making reasonable progress toward the degree, the student may be suspended from the University. If suspended, the student may appeal in writing to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. In the letter of appeal, the student can explain any circumstances that might cause reconsideration of the suspension decision.

Students may be considered not to be making reasonable progress toward the degree if they fail to achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 each semester.

Individual programs of study may, with the approval of the appropriate dean, develop appropriate regulations for the academic discipline of students enrolled as majors in these programs. Students who fail to meet the requirements to end the probationary status outlined by regulations of the program may be dismissed as a major from the program. This does not, however, automatically lead to the student’s academic suspension from the University or to academic probation at the University. Any student dismissed from a program of study has the right to appeal the dismissal to the appropriate dean within five (5) business days of receiving official written notice of dismissal from the department chair. The decision of the appropriate dean shall be final.

Appeal Procedure

To appeal an academic suspension a student must, within seven (7) business day of notification, submit to the Vice President for Academic Affairs a signed and dated letter of appeal explaining why he or she should not be suspended. A student may appeal due to extraordinary circumstances, which may include, but are not limited to, personal or family illness, tragedy, or other circumstances the student feels have a bearing on the situation. Documentation verifying the situation must be provided. The letter of appeal must also incorporate a plan for success that includes how the student’s situation has changed and must detail the specific actions that will allow the student to demonstrate academic progress at the next evaluation. An appeal may be fully approved, approved with conditions set forth in an academic plan, or denied. The Vice President for Academic Affairs will review all appeals, and the student will be notified of the outcome in writing within seven (7) business days of receipt of the student’s appeal. The decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

Other Causes for Academic Suspension or Expulsion

Suspension is defined as the temporary removal of a student’s right to register for academic coursework; expulsion is defined as the permanent loss of student status at Midway University.

A student who consistently fails to attend classes, prepare assignments, or is disruptive in the academic setting and/or campus life may be suspended. In such cases where actions are alleged to have occurred, the appropriate dean shall investigate such incidents upon receiving notice of such behavior. 

Inappropriate behavior in the classroom, clinical, or field experience setting which seriously disrupts the learning process, endangers the health and/or safety of others, or involves the destructive use or neglect of facilities, may also lead to suspension or expulsion. In cases where such actions are alleged to have occurred, the appropriate dean shall investigate such incidences upon receiving information from a faculty member or an officer of the University. Upon completion of such investigation, the appropriate dean shall make a ruling in the case. The decision of the dean is final.

Conditions Pertaining to Students under Academic Suspension

A student who is under academic suspension may not register in any course offered by Midway University nor take any examination for University credit at Midway University for a period of one full academic year.

A student who has been academically suspended a second time will not be readmitted to the University except in unusual circumstances and then only upon the recommendation of the chairs of the programs in which the student was enrolled and in which the student plans to enroll, and the approval of the appropriate dean(s) and of the Academic Review Council.


After remaining out of the University for one full academic year, a student is eligible for reinstatement through the same process as described above.  Upon reinstatement into the University, a student who has been academically suspended will be placed on academic probation and will be subject to the probation and suspension policies of the University.

Other Academic Credit

Advanced Placement Program

Midway University recognizes the examinations of the College Board Advanced Placement Program (AP) offered by thousands of high schools across the nation. A high school senior who wishes to have AP scores evaluated for possible credit should have the test scores sent to the Office of the Registrar. The code number for Midway University is 1467.

To receive credit, the student must furnish an official AP transcript to the Office of the Registrar issued directly from the College Board.  Advanced Placement Examinations for which comparable courses are offered at Midway University will be evaluated by the Registrar.

The scores of 3, 4, or 5 will be automatically converted to credit toward the degree and result in the student’s advanced placement, if sequenced courses are involved. The student’s transcript will reflect credit by AP Exam by a grade of P (Pass).  A score lower than three (3) will not be considered for advanced placement or for credit.

International Baccalaureate Program

Midway University recognizes the examinations of the International Baccalaureate (IB) program as well and awards academic credit for successful scores on all the Higher Level (HL) and Standard Level (SL) examinations. Generally, 6 credit hours are awarded for scores of 5-7 in Higher Level (HL) while 3 credits are awarded for scores of 5-7 in Standard Level (SL) examinations.

To receive credit, the student must furnish an official International Baccalaureate transcript to the Office of the Registrar issued directly from the New York office of the IB Organization.  IB Examinations for which comparable courses are offered at Midway University will be evaluated by the Registrar.

The scores of 5, 6, or 7 will be automatically converted to credit toward the degree and result in the student’s advanced placement, if sequenced courses are involved. The student’s transcript will reflect credit by IB Exam by a grade of P (Pass).  A score lower than five (5) will not be considered for advanced placement or for credit.

ACT English Score Waiver

A student who receives a score of 27 or higher in the English Usage section of the ACT will be allowed to bypass ENG 101 and register for ENG 102.    ENG 101 will be waived and the student will need to substitute 3 hours from the General Education classes. The 3 hours cannot be a course required for their major or minor.  

Transfer Students with earned Associate Degrees

Students transferring into Midway University with an earned Associate of Science or Associate of Arts degree will have that coursework accepted as completion of the institution's General Education requirements. 

College Level Examination Program and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

Midway University recognizes the general and subject examinations of CLEP and DSST and follows the policies noted below in evaluating the results of such examinations.

A student’s scores from the general and subject exams of the CLEP and DSST may permit University credit toward the degree when the subject involved is equivalent to a course offered at Midway University. In such cases, the student’s transcript will reflect credit by examination with a grade of P (Pass). The credit earned through CLEP or DSST will count toward graduation, but the grade of P does not affect a student’s GPA.  To receive credit for a CLEP and DSST exam, a student’s score must meet the minimum score recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE).  The number of credits given for the examination will be based on the recommended guidelines by ACE.

Credit for Prior Learning

In certain cases, university credit can be earned for knowledge gained through prior work and learning experience depending upon the nature and scope of the experience. It should be noted that credit is not given for experience but for knowledge, so that in the process of requesting credit for prior learning the student must give evidence that knowledge in the area is equivalent to specified university-level student learning outcomes and encompasses knowledge both of theory and of practice. There are various ways in which a student may give proof of such knowledge. For example, a) transfer credit from another educational institution, b) military credit, c) credit by examination, d) portfolio assessment, e) credit from a workshop or program approved by the American Council of Education. Each of these methods is explained below.

A charge is assessed per credit hour awarded for prior life and work experience via portfolio review.

Experiential Portfolio Assessment

The determination of competence levels and the number of credits awarded through portfolio assessment are made by designated faculty members and academic experts, as appropriate. Credit is awarded for documenting both breadth and depth of knowledge in a certain area as well as practical application of the learned concepts. Students may earn up to a total of 21 credit hours through portfolio assessment. Six of these hours may be applied toward meeting the residency requirement at Midway University. Credit received through portfolio assessment will be added to the student’s transcript with a grade of P (Pass).  Portfolio assessment credit at Midway University is awarded only in those academic disciplines represented by the University catalog. For details, contact the Office of Academic Affairs.

If the portfolio fees are not paid, and the credits not posted to the transcript within one calendar year from the approval date, then the credits are subject to review and may be denied.

Study Abroad

Academic, internship, and service opportunities abroad are available to Midway University students. Study Abroad Fairs are held on campus twice a year. Students interested in studying abroad should set up an appointment with the Office of International Admissions to discuss academic year long, semester, and summer programs. Students are able and encouraged to study abroad through University-affiliated institutions or third-party providers abroad during their degree-seeking coursework. The transfer of academic credit must be granted by the registrar and academic program directors. US citizens' federal financial aid may be used for study abroad. Institutional and state aid may not be used. It is important for students who wish to study abroad to plan far in advance and stipulate this on their FAFSA.

Transfer from Regionally-Accredited Institutions or Military Credit

In addition to the requirements outlined under the section Enrollment Management - Admission to Midway University, transfer students are required to submit official transcripts from all institutions previously attended.

The Academic Departments determine how to apply courses taken in the major and the Registrar determines how the courses are applied toward general education and elective requirements.

Selected courses (listed below) in the Nursing Program must have been taken in the last five (5) years.

  • A & P I lecture & lab
  • A & P II lecture and lab
  • Microbiology lecture & lab

Selected courses (listed below) in the Teacher Education Program must have been taken in the last three (3) year. This is in order to meet recency requirements.

  • All EDU methods courses
  • All EDU major courses

After evaluation of the transcripts, Midway University may accept a maximum of 30 semester hours of C or higher work from regionally accredited institutions toward an associate of arts degree or a maximum of 80 semester hours of C or higher work toward a bachelor degree. The total accepted shall include CLEP, DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), AP, portfolio assessment, and transfer and may not exceed 80 credit hours. At least half of the major must be completed at Midway University.  Students pursuing a master’s degree may transfer a maximum of six semester hours of B or higher work.

Students who have served in all branches of the military can receive credit for military training, workshops, job experience, etc. To obtain this credit, students need to contact the Midway University Admissions Office for information on how to obtain a military transcript.

Quarter to Semester Hour Conversion

Midway University operates on the semester system.  Any student who wishes to transfer courses from a regionally accredited institution on the quarter system must have their hours converted.  The university converts a one quarter hour class to equal 0.66 semester hours.  Therefore,  a   four quarter hour class converts to 2.66 semester hours.  Such a course may be substituted to meet a major or general education requirement but the hours are not rounded up and additional hours must be taken to meet the minimum 120 semester hour requirement to graduate.  

Workshops or Training Taken for Credit

Credit is awarded for completion of learning evaluated by the American Council of Education (ACE) and the National University Credit Recommendation Services (CCRS) on non-collegiate-sponsored instruction. These organizations evaluate university-level training programs, credentials, and licenses from government agencies, the military, and the private sector. Visit the American Council of Education (ACE) website and the National University Credit Recommendation Services (CCRS) website to further research these options.

Evaluations of Students

Evaluation of students is addressed in the course syllabus. The method of evaluation in each course is determined by the individual faculty member. The final grade in any course is based on the sum of evidence the student gives the professor demonstrating understanding and retention of the material presented and completion of the student learning outcomes stipulated for the course. The faculty member may make use of examinations, recitations, term papers, written and oral quizzes, class participation, discussions, and other methods to determine the student’s grade.

Grading System

Midway University grading scale is as follows:

A = 90% - 100%; B = 80% - 89%; C = 70% - 79%; D = 60% - 69%; F = below 60%

Nursing courses adhere to a modified grading scale as follows:

        ADN Nursing

                A = 91% - 100%; B = 83% - 90%; C = 77% - 82%; D = 70% - 76%; F = below 70%

        BSN Nursing

                A = 91% - 100%; B = 83% - 90%; C = 75% - 82%; D = 70% - 74%; F = below 70%

In order to arrive at the student’s grade point average (GPA), the grades the student has earned are assigned grade point values, known as “quality points.” Only quality points for course work completed at Midway University are averaged for computing the GPA.  Course work from institutions other than Midway University that is counted toward the degree is accepted only for credit to meet course requirements. Grades for courses at Midway University and their corresponding standards and grade points are the following:

Grading System

Grade Standard

Earned Quality Points


Represents exceptionally high achievement as a result of aptitude, effort, and intellectual initiative.



Represents a high achievement resultant from ability and effort. 



Represents average achievement.



Represents the minimum passing grade in most classes. A grade of “D” is not satisfactory completion of courses required for the major and in some cases of courses required for a degree.



Represents unsatisfactory performance and indicates failure in the course. A student receiving this grade can obtain credit in the course only by repeating the entire course in a subsequent term. An F is valued at zero credit hours and zero grade points.



Represents a passing grade in a course taken on a pass-fail basis.  A grade of P may earn credit but earns zero grade points.



Represents a failing grade in a course taken on a pass-fail basis.  A grade of “L” earns zero credit hours and zero grade points.



Represents a condition rather than a final grade. It signifies the state of being unfinished/incomplete.  If the required work is not satisfactorily completed within 30 days of the end of the academic term in which the course was taken, the “I” grade is normally changed to “F.”



Represents the successful completion of an audited class. No credit or grade reports are earned, nor can a student change registration from audit to credit after the last day to register for credit. A student can change from credit to audit until the last date to drop a class without a failing grade; similarly, a change can be made from audit to credit until the last date to register or add a class for credit. An AU carries zero points.



Represents a withdrawal from a course after the sanctioned drop/add period but not after the last date to drop a class without receiving a failing grade.  W grades do appear on the transcript but are not used in grade point average computations.  W grades earn 0 grade points.


All internships, practicums, student teaching, and PHE courses are graded on a Pass/Fail basis.  All major courses must be passed with a grade of C or better.

Course Repeat

A student may repeat a course a maximum of two attempts (withdrawals count as attempts) with appropriate written approval subject to the following conditions:

  1. While the previous grade will not be removed from the student’s transcript, only the second grade will be used in the calculation of the student’s grade point average—even if it is lower than the first attempt.
  2. The student is advised that the act of registration for a repeat option does not guarantee a seat in the class.
  3. Repeating a course in which one has earned a grade of ‘D’ or higher could impact one’s Title IV funding. Therefore, a student should consult with the Financial Aid Office to determine if s/he is eligible to receive federal or state funds for repeating the course.

Filing of Grades

All grades at the University become official when they have been received by the Registrar from individual members of the faculty and have been duly recorded on the student’s official transcript. Once filed with the Registrar in this manner, no grade may be changed except by petition, in writing, via the Grade Change form, from the faculty who instructed in the course, and with the approval of the appropriate dean. Grade reports are available through electronic student records.

Grade Reports

Grades are reported to the Registrar at midterm and at the end of each term. Midterm grades are not a part of the student’s permanent record.

Grade Appeal

If a student believes that the final grade awarded in a course is unjust, within seven (7) business days from the date that the instructor’s grades were posted the student must contact the professor and try to resolve the issue with the professor.  If the professor is not able to resolve the conflict to the student’s satisfaction, the next step is for the student to contact the Dean of the School in which the course resides.  This must be done within seven (7) business days of having spoken with the professor.

The Dean will contact the faculty member in question and discuss the situation.  The Dean must contact the faculty member within seven (7) business days of having been contacted by the student.  After having discussed the issue with the faculty member, it is the responsibility of the Dean to communicate his or her decision, in writing, to the student with copies to the faculty member and to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA).

If after having received the Dean’s response, the student still believes that an injustice has been done, the student must contact the VPAA in writing within seven (7) business days from the date of the Dean’s written communication and explain clearly why the student still believes that an injustice has been done. The VPAA will then attempt to resolve the issue.  If the VPAA is unable to resolve the issue within seven (7) business days of having received the student’s letter, the VPAA will convene an ad hoc Committee on Academic Grievances made up of three members of the full-time faculty, taking care that no member selected is a party to the case.  The VPAA sets a hearing date and informs the Dean of the School, the faculty member, persons serving on the Academic Grievance Committee, and the student of the date for the hearing.

At the hearing, which will be private, the Committee may hear witnesses requested by either of the parties and/or review records and evidence relevant to the matter. Only material or allegations previously presented may be discussed at the hearing; no new material may be introduced.  The Committee may call witnesses.  The Committee oversees the hearing and will direct all discussion, but both the student and the faculty member will have an opportunity to address the matter before the Committee.                       

The student is entitled to select a member of the Midway University academic community (i.e., a member of the administrative staff or faculty) to advise and/or to assist at the hearing.  At any time during the hearing process, the student may prepare written questions to be directed by the Committee to any other person involved in the case.

The Committee will decide either to uphold the grade or modify it, based on the available evidence.  The decision of the Committee is final and may not be appealed.  Within five (5) business days of the hearing, the Committee will report its decision, in writing, to the VPAA who, in turn, will inform the student and the professor of the decision, in writing, and will assure that the grade is properly reported in the student’s record.

The timelines set forth represent due process limits to be followed in normal situations and are in no way meant to impair speedy resolutions when required.


Typically, an “I” is given as a temporary grade only for extenuating circumstances in the life of the affected student.  Such circumstances include severe illness, death in the immediate family, and temporary physical disability.  The student is permitted 30 days from the end of the academic term to complete the work or the “I” grade is changed to an “F” grade.

If a professor wants to assign an “I” grade to a student, they must complete an incomplete contract form.  The form should be filled out and returned to the appropriate school Dean for approval.  Once the Dean has approved the form, it is submitted to the Office of the Registrar for entry into the system, and the student and the professor are notified.

Graduation Requirements

Application for a Degree

A student approaching the completion of the requirements specified for a degree or certificate should file an application for graduation with the Office of the Registrar. The application for graduation can be found by logging in to Self-Service and clicking on “Graduation Overview .” Two semesters prior to graduating, students should meet with their academic advisors to ensure they are meeting all requirements for graduation.  Graduation application dates are published in the academic calendar of the catalog and on the University website. 

Changes in Degree Requirements

The University reserves the right to modify its degree requirements, academic offerings, or curricula according to officially established processes.

When requirements for a degree are changed after a student’s enrollment as a major in a particular program, the student has the option of fulfilling either the old or the new requirements if the student has been in continuous enrollment. If a particular course is eliminated, the appropriate dean may approve a reasonable substitute course upon the recommendation of the student’s advisor and department chair/program coordinator.

If, however, students interrupt work in a major, or in the University, they will be required to meet the requirements in effect at the time of their re-entry into the University and/or major.


Students who have not yet completed all degree requirements will be eligible to participate in Commencement if they have no more than six credit hours remaining (as verified by the Registrar), which will have been completed before the start of the fall semester.

Students planning to participate must notify the Office of the Registrar of their intent. The degree and diploma will not be awarded until all requirements have been satisfied.

Residency Requirement

Regardless of the number of hours accepted in transfer, the University has established a residency requirement to provide for suitable and sufficient academic contact between the student and the University.

Toward this end--and regardless of the number of terms the student has been enrolled--a candidate for the associate degree must complete 27 of the last 30 semester hours with Midway University. The candidate for a bachelor degree must complete 36 of the last 40 semester hours with Midway University.


To be eligible to receive an undergraduate degree from Midway University, a student must have successfully completed the requirements as approved by the faculty, except that curricular substitutions may be made by the appropriate department chair and dean if such substitutions are consistent with the requirements.

In order for any student at Midway University to graduate, the following minimum conditions must be met:

  1. The student must have developed a major in one of the programs of study offered by the University.
  2. A minimum grade of C must have been earned in all major courses.
  3. All required general education or core courses and all courses in the major must have been completed to meet the standards of the University and the major.
  4. The candidate must have met the University’s residency requirement: 27 of the last 30 semester hours for the associate degree or 36 of the last 40 semester hours for a baccalaureate degree must have been completed at Midway University.
  5. Midway University accepts a maximum of 30 semester hours of C or better work from regionally accredited institutions toward an associate of arts degree or a maximum of 80 semester hours of C or better work toward a bachelor degree. The total accepted shall include CLEP, Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), AP, portfolio assessment, ACE approved, etc.
  6. Students must be recommended for the degree by the faculty and such recommendation must be accepted by the Board of Trustees.
  7. The minimum acceptable cumulative grade point average for a graduating student is 2.0.

The exact number of semester hours which must be earned for graduation depends upon the major selected. In order to earn a bachelor’s degree in any discipline, no fewer than 120 hours are earned and 36 hours must be at the upper division (300-400 level). The student should consult the section of the catalog on academic programs for specific requirements of individual programs of study.

Student Records

The official record of the student’s academic work at Midway University is the transcript maintained in the Office of the Registrar. The transcript certifies the record of all course work taken, grades in all courses taken, withdrawals, the program for degree and certificate recipients, identifying personal information, the date of conferral of degree or certificate of study, and other pertinent information.

Students may request an Official copy of their transcript via the National Student Clearinghouse for either electronic or paper delivery. Copies of the official transcript are prepared at the prevailing fee established by the University and are subject to change. Unofficial transcripts may be requested in writing should the need arise.

The official transcript is the property of the University, and the University reserves the right to prevent the release of a copy of the transcript if the student has any outstanding obligations to the University.

The transcript and other student records are materials that are confidential to the student and to the University. Therefore, release of student records by the University will be made in accordance with state and federal regulations concerning these kinds of records or with the written consent of the student. These regulations follow.

Maintenance and Disposal of Records

Permanent Records

Records of a permanent nature shall be maintained in perpetuity by the University Registrar. These records include, but are not limited to, the student’s academic transcript while at Midway University; copies of previous academic work at the secondary level and, if applicable, the college level; the student’s application form and acceptance into Midway University; and the results of any state or national exams used for entry or placement (ACT, CLEP, DSST, SAT, etc.). Other materials maintained permanently include academic petition forms, waivers from physicians or other professionals, letters of academic suspension, and any other information of a specific academic nature. Letters of non-academic discipline cases involving suspension or expulsion will also be included in permanent records.

Non-Permanent Records

In general, records defined as non-permanent include, but are not limited to, the student’s original class registration forms; drop/add forms; application for a degree; documentation relative to aptitude/intelligence tests; dean’s list letters, probation letters, letters of reference/recommendation; internship approvals; requests for transcripts; Veterans Administration certification forms; and other documents which, because of their nature, cease to have relevance with time.

Records Maintenance

All academic records are housed in the Office of the Registrar with a separate electronic back-up copy of the student’s official copy maintained virtually and at an off-campus location.

Disposal of Records

Non-permanent records shall be destroyed by shredding to prevent the possibility of personally identifiable information becoming available to unauthorized individuals.


Transcripts of courses and credits will be forwarded to the student or to other educational institutions, agencies or firms.  A fee is charged for transcripts and is payable in advance. 

To order a transcript, access Midway University’s home page and click on Transcript Request link under the Quick Links tab. The official record is the property of the University, and the University reserves the right to withhold the release of that record if the student or former student has a financial obligation to the University. 

If you wish to pick up a transcript, please contact the Registrar's Office either by email or by phone. Registrar Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM through 5:00 PM.  You can reach the Registrar personnel by email to or by phone at 859-846-5728. 

Academic Support

Office for Student Success

The Office for Student Success (OSS) serves as a holistic and comprehensive center providing programs and services created to build independent learners as well as empower students to take leadership and responsibility in their academic achievement, degree completion, and career and graduate school pathways. The OSS houses career development services, advising resources and oversight, as well as academic success programs. The OSS offers personality and career assessment resources, career, and success coaching, a robust tutoring program, as well as supports students who are on probation, suspension, or are conditionally admitted to the university  

Little Memorial Library

The Little Memorial Library, located in the center of the Midway University campus, houses all the physical collections and coordinates services provided by the library. The library collection is designed to support all programs of the University and is available in open stacks for student use. The facility provides for a variety of study and reading spaces including three group study rooms, a video editing studio, individual study carrels, a conference room, and general use computers. The library also houses a computer lab, a Mac lab, the Student Success Center, and The Center@Midway for Teaching Excellence and Innovation.

The library also provides access to its own resources as well as to the resources of other libraries via its online catalog and electronic databases.  The library offers access to nearly 50 electronic databases that provide indexing and full-text journals, periodicals, reports, and other documents to support all the programs the University offers. WorldCat, a union database of over 50 million records, is used for interlibrary loans and for finding titles not only in nearby libraries but in libraries worldwide.  The library also subscribes to an eBook resource with access to nearly 120,000 full-text electronic books.

The library’s website has numerous research and how-to guides to help users access library databases and use websites more effectively.  Some of these include evaluating websites, selecting a search engine, avoiding plagiarism, citing sources, and many more.  A Distance Learning Services page includes all the information a student needs to access library resources from home or office.  All the links are accessible directly from the homepage.  Access to web-based licensed content offered by the library is simplified through EZproxy software for remote user authentication.