Academic Policies

  Download Catalog as PDF

Academic Fresh Start

Academic Fresh Start is an appeals procedure which allows a student returning to Midway University after a prolonged absence (3 years or more from Midway or any regionally accredited institution) to request academic forgiveness of prior cumulative grade point average (GPA). The policy is designed for undergraduate students who have gained maturity outside higher education and have demonstrated acceptable academic performance following one’s return.

The granting of an Academic Fresh Start is subject to the following conditions:

  • Academic Fresh Start applies only to returning undergraduate students who had previously completed 45 or fewer semester hours and had an absence of at least three calendar years from any regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
  • Academic Fresh Start will affect all courses (including transfer credit) taken prior to the three-year absence. It may be elected only one time and is irrevocable.
  • A minimum of 12 semester hours of graded courses with a grade point average of 2.0 must be completed after returning to Midway before an Academic Fresh Start may be requested. For purposes of consideration for Academic Fresh Start, degree and non-degree credit courses will be used to compute grade point average upon return.
  • The student must submit the request for Academic Fresh Start in the second semester of having returned to Midway University. Part of the application process will require explanation of why student was unsuccessful and what changes have been made to ensure appropriate academic progress.
  • Upon approval, the student will be granted an Academic Fresh Start. The student's permanent academic record will maintain a record of all coursework completed, including transfer credit recorded on the official transcript. Courses taken prior to the three-year absence will not be used in computing grade point average (GPA) and cannot be used to meet any requirements (e.g., degree, prerequisite, certification). Official transcript will state Academic Fresh Start date.  Note: Academic Fresh Start is a policy of Midway University and may not be recognized by outside agencies or other institutions.
  • Financial aid regulations regarding receiving aid for repeat courses will still be administered according to federal regulations. Financial Aid recipients will still have to adhere to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy administered by the Student Financial Aid Office. Students who are granted Academic Fresh Start who were previously held for SAP will need to contact the Financial Aid Office and will be responsible for submitting required SAP appeal. Granting of Academic Fresh Start does not extend to Financial Aid, nor does it negate grants and loans provided previously.

Federal and State Laws

A Consumer and Safety Information page is located on our website at  In addition, policies addressing disability support services, service and assistance animals, alcohol and other drug use and abuse, sexual misconduct, and unlawful discrimination and harassment may be found in the Midway University Student Handbook, which is located on our website at

Constitution Day

A provision in the Consolidated Appropriations Act for fiscal 2005 requires that “each educational institution that receives federal funds for a fiscal year shall hold an educational program on the United States Constitution on September 17 of such year for the students served by the educational institution.”

Midway University provides an educational program on the U.S. Constitution for all students. The Office of Student Affairs is responsible for compliance with this legislative requirement.


In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (commonly referred to as FERPA, or the “Buckley Amendment”), Midway University has adopted the following policies and procedures to protect the privacy of educational records.  Students will be notified of their FERPA rights annually by publication in the Midway University catalog and the Midway University Student Handbook, both of which may be found on the University’s website.


Midway University uses the following definitions in this policy:

  • Student: any person who attends or has attended the University.
  • Educational records: any records in whatever form (handwritten, print, computer media, taped, film or other medium) which are maintained by the University and are directly related to a student, with the following exceptions:
    • Records kept in the sole possession of the maker, which are used only as a personal memory aid and are not accessible or revealed to any other person except to a temporary substitute for the maker of the record.
    • Records relating to an individual employed by the University that relate exclusively to the individual in the capacity of an employee, even if the person is also a student at the University.
    • Records created and maintained by Campus Security personnel.
    • Records made and maintained by the campus minister or counseling staff and used only in connection with the treatment of a
    • Medical records maintained by the University solely for treatment and made available only to those persons providing treatment.
    • Records created or received by the University after an individual is no longer a student and that are not directly related to the individual's attendance as a student.
  • School officials: a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including Campus Security and Health Services staff); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as the Student Conduct Board.  A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the University who performs an institutional service or function for which the University would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of personally identifiable information from educational records such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent, or a student assisting a University official in the performance of his or her tasks.

Rights under FERPA

A student shall have the right to do the following:

  1. Inspect and review the student’s educational records.
  2. Request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
  3. Consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning the alleged failure of the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
  5. Obtain a copy of the University’s student records policy from the Office of the Registrar.

Procedure to Inspect Educational Records

Students may inspect and review their educational records upon request to the appropriate record custodian(s).  Students must submit a written request that identifies the specific record(s) the student wishes to inspect.  The record custodian will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. Access will be provided within 45 days of the written request.  Upon request by the student, explanations and interpretations of the educational records will be provided to the student by University personnel designated by the appropriate office.

Right of the University to Refuse Access

The University reserves the right to refuse to permit a student to inspect the following information:

  1. The financial records of the student’s parents.
  2. Letters of recommendation for which the student has waived his or her right of access.
  3. Records containing information about more than one student, in which case the University will permit access only to that part of the record that pertains to the inquiring student.
  4. Records which are excluded from the FERPA definition of educational records.

Procedures for Hearings to Challenge Records

Students wishing to challenge the content of their educational records must submit a request for a hearing, in writing, to the appropriate office.  The request must include the specific information in question and the reasons for the challenge.

Hearings will be conducted by a University official who does not have a direct interest in the outcome of the hearing.  Students will be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the reasons for the challenge.  The hearing officer will render a decision, in writing, within a reasonable period of time, noting the reason and summarizing all evidence presented.

If the hearing results are in favor of the student, the record shall be amended.  Should the request be denied, the student may choose to place a statement with the record commenting on the contested information in the record and stating why the student disagrees with the decision.  As long as the student’s record is maintained by the University, the record will always include the student’s statement when disclosed to an authorized party.

Disclosure of Educational Records

The University will disclose information contained in a student’s education record only with written consent of the student, with the following exceptions:

  1. To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the record (i.e., the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University).
  2. Information the University has designated as "directory information."
  3. To officials of another school in which the student seeks to or intends to enroll.
  4. To federal, state and local agencies and authorities as provided under law.
  5. To the parents of a student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes.
  6. In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine the student’s eligibility for the aid, to determine the amount and conditions of the aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.
  7. To accrediting organizations and to organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University.
  8. To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.
  9. In connection with a health and safety emergency.
  10. As otherwise permitted by FERPA.

Directory Information

Disclosure of directory information normally may be made without the student’s consent.  Directory information includes the student’s name; school and permanent addresses; school, permanent, and cellular telephone numbers; school and permanent e-mail addresses; majors and minors; dates of attendance; enrollment status; class level; degree(s), honors, and awards received; the most recent educational agency or institution attended; weight and height of members of athletic teams; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; and photograph.

A student may request that the University withhold his or her directory information from being released.  A student who wishes to have all directory information withheld must make this request in the Office of the Registrar.  The hold will become effective the first day of class in the next regular semester (fall or spring).  Once filed, this request becomes a permanent part of the student’s record until the student instructs the Office of the Registrar, in writing, to remove the hold.  This request does not restrict the release of this information to individuals and agencies listed in the “Disclosure of Educational Records” as mentioned above.

Accuracy of Information

Midway University takes measures to ensure that all University representatives accurately represent the University in all areas, particularly in the following:

  • Accreditation
  • Transfer policies
  • Course and program requirements
  • Size, location, facilities, and equipment
  • Graduate employment/placement information
  • Faculty/staff qualifications
  • Student employment
  • Tutoring and academic support services
  • Cost, scholarships, billing, refunds, and financial assistance
  • Employment/placement information

Concerns regarding representation should be directed to the Office of Academic Affairs.

Credit Hour Policy

Amount of Credit

Midway University’s definition of the credit hour is in accordance with the SACSCOC Credit Hour Policy and the Federal Definition of the Credit Hour which state that a credit hour approximates:

  1. Not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours out of class student work each week for approximately 15 weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different time, or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required outlined in item 1 above for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.
Lecture Courses
Semester Credit Hours Face-to-Face Instruction
Minutes Class Meetings (75 min class)
One 750 Minimum 10 classes /term
Two 1500 Minimum 20 classes /term
Three 2250 Minimum 30 classes /term
Four 3000 Minimum 40 classes /term
Laboratory Courses
Semester Credit Hours Supervised Instruction
Minutes Class Meetings (120 min class)
One 1500 Minimum 13 labs/term
Two 3000 Minimum 25 labs/term
Practical, Supervised clinicals, Fine Arts studio, Student teaching, Field work, and Internships
Semester Credit Hours 60-minute hours


40-45 hours/term


80-90 hours/term


120-135 hours/term


160-180 hours/term


200-225 hours/term


240-270 hours/term


280-315 hours/term


320-360 hours/term


360-405 hours/term


400-450 hours/term

Credit for Online Coursework

Identifying that it is difficult to calculate and monitor contact hours in online learning environments, the Institution bases the definition of the credit hour in online courses on the following guidelines.  First, the course syllabus should clearly document that the online course covers the same amount of material and course content that would normally be expected if the class was being taught in the traditional classroom. Examples of clear documentation include documentation of course topics and course objectives covered, stated student learning outcomes, stated expectations of readings, projects, and other assignments. It is the responsibility of the faculty teaching in the online environment to determine if the course content delivered is of sufficient scope and rigor to ensure the amount of material delivered is comparable to the same traditional course. Second, during the planning and development of an online course, faculty should estimate the time a typical student spends with the course content. This amount of time should be equivalent to the number of contact hours normally expected in a traditional course. Time spent completing homework assignments, working on projects, studying for examinations, etc., should be considered outside the contact hour requirements for the online course. Finally, academic programs should review online curriculum and monitor each online program for quality assurance consistent with the Institution’s traditional instruction.

Credit for Hybrid Coursework

Midway University defines a hybrid course as a course that includes both face-to-face and online instructional activities with a minimum of one (1) credit hour and up to two (2) credit hours for a three (3) hour course to be taught face-to-face. The remaining credit hour(s) should follow the credit for online coursework policy and time spent completing homework assignments, working on projects, studying for examinations, etc., should be considered outside the contact hour requirements for the online portion of the course. Academic Programs will recommend courses to be taught in hybrid format to their respective dean for approval. Finally, academic programs should review hybrid curriculum and monitor each hybrid course for quality assurance consistent with the Institution’s traditional instruction.

Online and Hybrid Course Enrollment for Traditional Undergraduate Students

Students who have chosen traditional on-campus degree programs are encouraged to enroll primarily in day classes.  Students may occasionally find it convenient or necessary to add an online or hybrid class to their schedule; in doing so, they should plan to devote significant time and effort to online or hybrid learning.  Keeping up with the accelerated pace of online or hybrid coursework requires focus, time-management and self-discipline.

With the exceptions outlined below, traditional undergraduate students with sophomore status or higher, in good academic standing may enroll in no more than 7 credit hours of online or hybrid coursework per semester without additional permissions. When traditional students choose to take more than one online or hybrid class in a semester, they are strongly encouraged to take only one online or hybrid class per module. Traditional undergraduate students wishing to enroll in more than 7 credits of online or hybrid coursework in one semester must obtain permission from their advisor and their dean to do so.

Freshmen traditional undergraduate students are only permitted to take one online or hybrid class per semester.

Traditional undergraduate students on academic probation must obtain the permission of their advisor and their dean to enroll in any online or hybrid class.

Additional restrictions on online or hybrid course enrollment may apply for international students and other students enrolled through special academic programs or partnerships.

Withdrawal Policy

Students who decide to withdraw at any point during a semester, must go through the official withdrawal process beginning with Student Affairs and ending with the Registrar’s Office.  This allows students to make arrangements for any financial matters and to be unenrolled officially from classes.  Failure to follow this process may result in additional financial charges, loss of financial aid, and/or the assignment of failing grades in all courses.  The complete process can be found in the Student Affairs Office.

Compassionate, Medical, or Military Withdraw request must be completed prior to the last day of the term requested. 

Medical, Military Service, or Compassionate Withdraw

At times in the life of a student circumstances may arise that require a student to withdraw from their studies. These circumstances could include physical or mental health issues, learning disabilities, family/personal crisis or a call to active Military Duty. In such situations a student may need to petition for special withdraw consideration through a Medical, Military or Compassionate withdraw. These special withdraw considerations do not relieve the student of financial responsibility, but may assist in receiving a W for course grades rather than an F.

Medical Withdraw

A student may be considered for a medical withdraw when extraordinary circumstances related to serious illness or injury prevent the student from continuing course work. These circumstances include both physical and mental health difficulties.

To be considered for a medical withdraw, the student must provide appropriate documentation to the Vice President for Admission and Student Affairs or their designee. Appropriate documentation for a medical withdrawal consists of a letter from your attending health care provider that specifies the following:

  • the date of onset of illness
  • the dates you were under professional care
  • the general nature of your medical condition and why/how it prevented you from completing your course work
  • the date of your anticipated return to school, if applicable
  • the last date you were able to attend class

Physician documentation must be on letterhead, typed, dated, and bear the signature of the evaluator. Documentation must include the name, title, contact information and professional credentials of the evaluator. This documentation must be submitted directly to the Student Affairs office via mail, through a signed, sealed envelope hand delivered, or faxed from the provider’s office.

Military Service Withdraw

Students may be considered for a military service withdraw if they, as an active duty serviceperson, national guardsman, or reservist are deployed during the course of the semester. To be considered for a military service withdraw, students must submit appropriate documentation to the Vice President for Admissions and Student Affairs or their designee. Appropriate documentation includes military service orders with formal correspondence on unit letterhead signed by the commander requesting military withdraw due to the orders. This formal correspondence should include the unit commander contact information and verification of duration and location of pending assignment if able.

Compassionate Withdraw

Students may request and be considered for a compassionate withdraw when extraordinary personal reasons, not related to the student’s person physical or mental health (for example, care of seriously ill child or spouse or death in the student’s immediate family), prevent the student from continuing courses. Students requesting a compassionate withdraw should contact the Student Affairs office and provide appropriate documentation. Appropriate documentation for a compassionate withdraw is dependent upon the nature of your circumstances and the Student Affairs office can offer advice in this area.

Compassionate, Medical, or Military Withdraw request must be completed prior to the last day of the term requested with few exceptions.

Withdrawing from the University

In all instances in which it is necessary to withdraw from the University—regardless of the reason—the student must contact the Student Affairs Office.  The date on which notice is received shall be the official date of withdrawal for purposes of tuition refund, computation and recording of grades, and the date of record for purposes of financial aid refunds.  All students must participate in a withdraw interview conducted by the Vice President for Admissons and Student Affairs or their designee. 

Undeclared Major Policy

Degree seeking students enrolling in Midway University who are uncertain about the particular degree they wish to pursue may choose "Undecided" as their academic major designation until the obtain Junior status (60 hours or more). 

Minor Advisor Policy

When students declare a minor, they will be assigned an advisor in the respective department(s). The advisor must approve the curriculum for the minor.

Graduate Program Policies

Academic Policies

Transfer Credit

The respective school dean will determine up to six (6) transfer graduate credits for their programs. Written approval must be obtained prior to the first day of the first course in the program. 

Graduation Requirements

Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 in order to graduate from a graduate program. 

Grading Scale 

The grading Scale for Graduate programs is as follows:

  • A = High achievement
  • B = Satisfactory Achievement
  • C = Failure

Grade Policies

Graduate courses may not be taken on a pass/fail basis. 

A minimum grade of B is required in all coursework. 

A letter grade of C must be repeated, with only one attempt at a repeat allowed in each course. Only the letter grade earned on the second attempt will be used to compute the GPA, but both grades will appear on the student's transcript. 

A student who earns a letter grade of C or below will be placed on academic probation for the subsequent term (8-week or 16-week) and will be limited to taking one course in the next module. If the student earns a second C or below, the student will be suspended from the program and required to sit out a minimum of two modules (could be longer based on course availability). THe student will then have to petition to the Dean of the School and the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who will determine if they cn be readmitted. If they receive approval to return to the program, they must earn an A or B in all subsequent courses, or they will be dismissed from the program. 

Effective Fall 2020, you cannot earn more than one C in the program before being placed on academic probation. Prior to Fall 2020 semester, you can have two Cs in the program. 

Last updated: 06/18/2021